Re: [IP] 2 hour pp

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 email @ redacted wrote:

> Tell me something....The new endo has us checking Kevin at 2 hours pp and
> said he should not be higher than 40 points from the start. He is usually WAY
> higher than that, but most of the time in range by 4 hours. Obviously for
> this to work, we will have to change all the basals to lower, and boluses to
> higher. Does anyone else have 2 hour pp that close in range? Is it really
> do-able?? It is frustrating for me right now to see these #'s at 2 hours so
> awful....I hate to even write them down for the doc!       Just want to see
> how much I should stress out on getting it done.  Right now we are checking
> only, no changing or correcting.
PP reading is highly dependent on the match of the insulin to food and is
basically not predictable except experimentally. A high glycemic food and
slow insulin absorbtion will result in very high 2 hour pp readings
wheras a full bolus for say.... pizza or chinese food would result in going
low at 2 hours and high at 4+ hours.

Without knowing the glycemic index of the particular food eaten, the
absorbtion factor for the insulin taken (dependent on placement of the
set, skin temperature, etc....) the 2 hour number is not very meaningful.