Re: [IP] Accu-Chek or One Touch Profile

Better check your facts, Natalie.

Lifescan came out, a while back, with new strips for the
One-Touch and Profile meters.  These newer strips look the
same but they measure plasma values not whole blood values.
 They sent letters to all the registered owners of these
meters about it.  It is also on the package insert, I

           HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!

--- "Natalie A. Sera" <email @ redacted> wrote:
> email @ redacted wrote:
> >
> > Got new freebe Accu-Chek from MM.  Just checked it
> against  our one touch,
> > and the accu-c said 236 bg while the One-touch said
> 176.  That's such a huge
> > difference.  Which do I believe and should I correct
> for.  Holly
> The Profile gives you whole-blood readings and the
> Complete gives you
> plasma readings which are about 12 - 15% higher. Then
> there's the error
> of measurement which exists in all machines.
> I think the Complete is less susceptible to variations in
> user technique
> than the Profile, because the profile depends on YOU to
> put on the right
> amount of blood while the Complete stops when it has
> enough, and the
> Profile also varies according to ambient light, while the
> Complete is
> electronic.
> So, seems to me that the best thing to do is decide to
> use one or the
> other, and LEARN your machine. But don't compare them
> unduly -- it leads
> to quandaries like this one!  :)
> In the 80 - 120 range, the readings should be close
> enough that it
> wouldn't change your treatment decisions. When you're
> high, I hope you
> correct cautiously, anyway, because as you well know,
> diabetes isn't an
> exact science!!!

*   Susan K.  (^i^)
*      AOL IM nickname: "ILuvBirdz"