Re: [IP] Pregnancy and Diabetes

Hi Daniela,
I have had two successful pregnancies with diabetes.  For the first one I
was on MDI and for the second I was on the pump.  It takes a lot of hard
work, and many, many trips to various doctors and hospitals, but it was
definitely worth it for me.  My two daughters are the light of my life.
I don't have any complications except for some stable background
retinopathy, and it didn't change during or after the pregnancies.
My quick words of wisdom should you decide to go through with it:
Take great care during the first trimester as you are especially prone to go
low at this time.
Expect to adjust your basals daily during the last trimester--I ended up
using something like 3 times my normal basals at that time.
Expect to test your blood sugar at least 8 times a day and probably more.
Expect the challenge to continue even after the baby's born.  Nursing with
diabetes presents its own difficulties.
I loved being pregnant and wish you the best of luck should you decide to
become pregnant!