[IP] CamelsRfun and doom

[Bonnie Richardsn]  What a great wish, did you make it up? May I copy it
and send to a couple of folks?

 Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 07:49:01 EST
From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] A reminder for the IP Members

>Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for
>an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress,
>non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the Winter Solstice holiday,
>practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion
>of your choice, or the secular practices of your choice, with respect for
>the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their
>choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all...and a
>fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated
>recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2000,
>but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures
>whose contributions to society have helped make America great
>(not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country
>or is the only "AMERICA" in the western hemisphere), and without
>regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith,
>choice of computer platform, or sexual preference of the wishee.

You wrote:
My point here is that whatever we tell children with diabetes may be
"forgotten'' or denied, and maybe that's the only way to get through a
childhood w/ diabetes. Eventually, for most of us, the meaning of diabetes
kicks in, and kicks in hard.

I had to share that when I was first told I had juvenile diabetes, at the
age of 44 in Portland, Oregon, what I heard from my hospital bed was "you
can never drink Co-cola and never go barefooted again".  This born and
raised southerner was ready to die after hearing that news.  BTW - as all
southerner's know, Co-cola is short for Coca Cola.   Well, I learned to
love diet coke and I go barefooted all the time.  I am just very conscious
of keeping my feet healty.    So the dooms day messages are there to learn
from, but not to live from.   Just my opinion.
Bonnie Richardson