[IP] Turning pump off in ER

> Subject: Re: [IP] Showing rescue squads pump
> As a paramedic I understand the need for EMS personnel to be exposed to
> insulin pump, but do not forget the doctors that will take over treatment
> from the rescue squad. I also have diabetes and utilize an insulin pump
> myself. I have been in need of treatment for a high BG due to illness, and
> have been instructed by the ER physician to turn my pump off, I assume,
> because he didn't understand it.
> mjt

I have had 6 eye surgeries since pumping and the anesthesiologists always
want me to turn my pump off while I'm *under* (I insist on being put to
sleep - can't handle them working in my eyes). IF I have another *under*
surgery and that is the request, I'm going to ask if they remove the
pancreas from non-DM patients during that time. Same thing.
Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83)