[IP] Reporting Back from the Surgicenter...

Greetings All:
      Well despite ignoring our CDE's suggestion (sorry Gary!)that we
increase Melissa's basals to offset a "stress-related" bg rise during her
surgery today to extract 4 wisdom teeth ( none were impacted), we did
amazingly well! I figured that I could always bring down a too-high bg, but
if she couldn't eat, I was VERY leery of her going low, especially since she
kept going low all day yesterday, and she rarely "spikes" from stress anyway!
     At 11:30 last night she was 90, so I had her drink a glass of milk and
have a biscotti without bolusing. At 8:00 am today, she was 260, so I had her
bolus 2 units to drop 80 points & sure enough, at 10:00 she was 184. We'd
lowered her 6:00 -11:00 am basal from 1.1 to 1.0, so when we checked at noon
& she'd dropped 60 POINTS, I was NOT as comfortable as I'd been at 184, but I
knew that her next basal of .8 was about to "kick in". She also wasn't about
to suspend the pump or make any further changes, believing she'd be fine, so
I had to take that "leap of faith". I checked her one last time at 1:00 & she
was 112....
    They checked her during surgery and she was 100, and 117 when we saw her
in recovery at 3:30. Two hours later, snug in her bed, but moaning about the
discomfort of having a mouthful of gauze, she was 132.....And she was just
103 when I checked at 7:30....
    Hasn't eaten a thing since 11:30 last night (20 hours!).....so all in
all, a successful day & yet another testimonial to the intrinsic beauty of
pump therapy versus MDI when dealing with hospitals!

Regards, Renee ( a weary pump-mom today!)