[IP] Re:Sports and pumps

Dear Deonna,  I hope you get lots of mail from those of us on this list
with kids in sports...don't let sports stop you from letting Joey get the
pump!  In fact, I thing the pump makes sports so much easier.  Ever since
Katie has gone on the pump, she has continued to be VERY active in any
sport she wants to try:  soccer, sledding, skating, gymnastics, and
coming in January Little Dribblers Basketball.  She eats a snack and
boluses about 1/2 hour before her practice, then disconnects for the hour
or so that she's practicing.  Yes, the numbers can be erractic but
nothing horrible.  Haven't had a low that stopped her yet.  The pump is
the way to go!
God Bless,
Debbie, Mom of Katie, 9, dx'd 9/97
MiniMed pumper since 8/2/99 (youngest kid in Alaska...so far!)

Joey Vasquez <email @ redacted>

My son, Joey, is a juvenile diabetic.  He was diagnosed at two and is now
eight. I am trying to decide if the insulin pump would be a good idea for
him. He is extremely active he plays all sports.
Should this be a concern, and will this limit his activities? Any
information you can give me from adults and kids around his age would be
greatly appreciated.