[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #758

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 15:17:36 EST
From: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Frustrated

>Sorry list i just need to say i'm very frustrated!  I don't mean to whine,
>but i really feel the need!  Whine, whine, whine.  I woke this morning to
>Matt b/g being 285!

Go ahead and bolus him down immediately when that happens.

Highs are gonna happen.  It's just we now have great tools to get under
control quicker, without hypos.

>I'm fighting lunch highs, i keep lowering the carb
>ratio, not helping, changing what food is eatin, not helping, so yesterday
>adjusted his morning basals,

I approach basals as what to do when I don't intake anything.

I don't recommend changing basals to handle lunch.  I would measure how much
is eaten versus how high his bg goes in 2 hours and how much insulin it
takes to attenuate and adjust the insulin to carbs ratio to compensate.

>Thanks for listening, i know were all in the same boat, and it stinks!

Really, it gets better.  By the way, the Certified Diabetes Educators can be
a lot of help in adjusting these rates so you don't have to do it alone.

Richard in Texas