[IP] You Make a Difference - Sorry Long

This is not *directly* related to the list subject, but I guess in fact -- it
is to me.

A friend of mine sent this to me. It is really touching and I thought of all
of *our* (IP) kids with diabetes and how tough it is to be a kid with
diabetes. I was one of these kids once ( you mean I'm not a kid anymore?
<smile>) and how tough it can be sometimes. Also to EVERYONE else on this
list -- I have learned SO much from you all and appreciate all the support
I've received since joining in September of this year. DM is a
tough/frustrating disease. So this is for my *adopted* family -- the IP
members -- you make a difference in my life.

A teacher in New York decided to honor each of her seniors in high
school by telling them the difference they each made.  Using a process
developed by Helice Bridges of Del Mar, California, she called each student
to the
front of the class, one at a time.
First, she told the class how the student made a difference to her and
the class.  Then she presented each of them with a blue ribbon imprinted
with white letters which read, "Who I Am Makes a Difference."
 Afterwards the teacher decided to do a class project to see what kind of
 impact recognition would have on a community.  She gave each of the
students three more ribbons and instructed them to go out and spread this
acknowledgment ceremony.  Then they were to follow up on the results, to
see who honored whom and report back to the class in about a week.
 One of the boys in the class went to a junior executive in a nearby
company and honored him for helping him with his career planning.  He
gave him a blue ribbon and put it on his shirt.  Then he gave him two
extra ribbons, and said, "We're doing a class project on recognition, and
we'd like you to go out, find somebody to honor, give them a blue ribbon,
then give them the extra blue ribbon so they can acknowledge a third
person to keep this
 acknowledgment ceremony going.

 Then please report back to me and tell me what happened."
 Later that day the junior executive went in to see his boss, who had
been noted by the way, as being kind of a grouchy fellow.  He sat his
boss down and he told him that he deeply admired him for being a creative
genius.  The boss seemed very surprised.  The junior executive asked him
if he would accept the gift of the blue ribbon and would he give him
permission to put it on him.  His surprised boss said,
 "Well, sure."
 The junior executive took the blue ribbon and placed it right on his
boss' jacket above his heart.  As he gave him the last extra ribbon, he
said, "Would you do me a favor?  Would you take this extra ribbon and
pass it on by honoring somebody else?  The young boy who first gave me
the ribbons is doing a project in school and we want to keep this
recognition ceremony going and find out how it affects people."
 That night the boss came home to his 14-year-old son and sat him down.
He said, "The most incredible thing happened to me today.  I was in my
office and one of the junior executives came in and told me he admired me
and gave me a blue ribbon for being a creative genius.
 Imagine.  He thinks I'm a creative genius.  Then he put this blue ribbon
that says 'Who I Am Makes A difference' on my jacket above my heart.  He
gave me an extra ribbon and asked me to find somebody else to honor.  As
I was driving home tonight, I started thinking about whom would I honor
with this ribbon and I thought about you.  I want to honor you.
 My days are really hectic and when I come home I don't pay a lot of
attention to you.  Sometimes I scream at you for not getting good enough
grades in school and for your bedroom being a mess.  But tonight I just
want to sit here and, well, just let you know that you do make a
difference to me.  Besides your mother, you are the most important person
in my life. You're a great kid and I love you!"
 The startled boy started to sob.  He couldn't stop crying. His whole
body shook.  He looked up at his father and said through his tears, "I
was planning on committing suicide, Dad, because I didn't think you loved
me.  Now I don't need to."

  I encourage you to send this message to those who mean a lot to you.
Let them know they do make a difference in your life.  A little encouragement
goes a long way - especially in these hectic,wonder-filled, chaotic holidays.

 Or if your days are just too full to send this to others, then let a
 smile move throughout your entire being, give yourself a pat on the
back, and know that I think you are important, and my love enfolds you
throughout the remaining days of this year and into the magical, mystical
days of 2000.

 Happy holidays, dear and treasured friend!

Remember: I gave you a blue ribbon!
 Who you are makes a difference!

 I wanted you to know you mean a lot to me!
 And you make a difference in my life!

  Now go on out there and keep the flow going.

 "Friends are angels who lift us to  our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

Sally =o)
IDDM for 35 of my 36.5 years
Assimilated : 7 December 1999