[IP] Protein in Urine - Glucose Strips

Kap is forever testing for ketos - as always - high #s - (No ketos tonight)
but tonight he had protein in urine 30+ -
and on the same strip - the glucose was 1000.
How on earth did someone make a judgement call on how much insulin to take
with glucose strips - before they had meters.
Kap tested 187 on meter prior to dinner
then had basketball practice for 1.45 hrs
then tested at 287 on meter - he had a bottle of water during practice
I had asked his ped for a bottle of test strips for protein - since he said
protein being present in the urine was a indication of infection.  This mama
wanted a way to tell when infection was causing b/s to stay up.
Curious as to how someone made judgements w/ glucose test strips.
And if anyone else uses protein test strips to test for infections.
Thanks for Listening!
(Mom to Kap) - age 9
soon to be pumper
(Kap shaking all the Christmas presents - asking if his meter is one of them
and giving me a lecture how I should not wrap his pump and make him wait
until Christmas to have it - that if I did that - I was playing w/ his