[IP] which pump to use?

The change in Minimed's stock is a complex combination of issues, and
probably not affected much by the software problem.  They found the error
and are fixing it.  There are many reasons that stocks go through
fluctuations and a good reason for the current drop is because the fda just
gave premarket approval to cygnus' glucowatch which competes with Minimed's
continuous glucose monitor.  In addition, Minimed's stock jumped up to an
overvalued price of 90 when they got approval to market THEIR continuous
glucose monitor.  So a drop after this jump is not uncommon.

I think we shouldn't start a pump war again, but I do think that Minimed is
being cast in an unfair light.  Both pumps are great inventions that save
our lives a little bit every day.  The minor differences between the two
mean nothing in the great scheme of things.

And I believe that the user, of course, should decide on a pump choice, not
the doctor.  If there were a perfect pump as far as control went, then there
would only be one on the market.  Because there are multiple pumps on the
market, it gives users a chance to select the features which are most
important to them-- watertightness, color, whatever.

>See how
>Minimed's stock has dropped from 90 before the
>announcement to 55 2 weeks later.  The market knows
>there's a problem.

Miranda Miller
Electro-Optics Engineer
TRW Systems / Nightvision Labs