Re: [IP] Tragic News Tonight

Girl Stays Night With Dead Mother

.c The Associated Press

PEABODY, Mass. (AP) - A 7-year-old girl spent a night sleeping in her dead
mother's arms after a teacher apparently ignored the girl when she claimed
her mother had died.

``From what Lydia told me, the teacher said, `You shouldn't talk like that,'
and sent her back to her seat,'' Richard Tucker, the girl's grandfather, told
WHDH-TV Tuesday.

Lydia Hanson went through the rest of the day on Thursday at the Kiley
School, went home on the bus and then spent the night with her mother,
Kimberly Hanson.

``She actually curled up in her mom's lap and went to sleep with her
overnight,'' Tucker said. ``She watched TV for a while, holding her hand.''

Hanson, 33, had diabetes and most likely died of natural causes, Peabody
police Sgt. William Caico told The Salem Evening News.

Tucker discovered the body on Friday, when he visited because he hadn't heard
from his daughter since Wednesday, when she had told him she was feeling ill.
Lydia had not gone back to school.

Lydia didn't know how to use the phone in her house, Tucker said. She told
her grandparents she finished her homework and microwaved leftover spaghetti
and meatballs for dinner.

She also made popcorn because it was something Lydia and her mother did every

Peabody Schools Superintendent Louis Perullo called the incident a tragedy.

``The school made a mistake,'' Perullo said in a written statement. ``I wish
we had done otherwise. This has never happened before.'' He did not
immediately return calls to The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The girl is currently living with her grandparents in Hamilton.

AP-NY-12-14-99 1942EST