[IP] which pump to use?

How can Dubjut say he chose Minimed due to it's
reliability and durability when he 1) obviously knows
nothing about Disetronic products and 2)is not
acknowledging the 508C software problem.
Disetronic came out with the FIRST pump years ago.
They command the majority of the world market outside
of the US.  They are a Swiss company, and the Swiss
have the reputation of quality and reliability in
their engineered products.  Think of Rolex, or even
Swatch, or a Swiss Army Knife.  The fact that ALL
pumps have to meet FDA testing should be reassuring,
and even then, the Minimed 508 has had a software
problem that they are now just acknowledging.  See how
Minimed's stock has dropped from 90 before the
announcement to 55 2 weeks later.  The market knows
there's a problem.
We haven't heard ANY problems with the Disetronic
pumps.
Your doctor should make the decision, not you.
Effectively, the pumps are the same, they do the same
things, perhaps with different features.  Minimed is
NOT waterproof, while Disetronic IS, and Minimed's
insulin reservoir is exposed, while Disetronic's is
not.  Minimed does have a light, and a vibrator.  Do
you want access to a pump right away, in case of
problems, or do you want to wait for a Fedex tomorrow
sometime?  Dubjut's arguments are fallacious, and they
are the arguments that Minimed's sales people are
trained to use.  Sounds like a Minimed shill to me.
Just look at the other posts.  Minimed is just now
getting input into upgrading its Softset.  Disetronic
doesn't have a Softset, but at least the sets they
have   work as expected and are comfortable as
expected.
The Toyota vs. Cadillac argument is fallacious as
well, because if you have a Disetronic (which is
SWITZERLAND) and a Minimed (AMERICAN) that both do the
same thing, and there is no advantage of one over the
other, but for the extra pump, then you need to think
of the benefits therein.  Although, the Disetronic is
a smaller pump than the Minimed.
Frankly, who cares which pump you have?  So long as it
works and can take the vicissitudes of life.

Cheers

Steve Lazarus

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:32:29 -0500
From: "dubjut" <email @ redacted>

Dear Marcia     The reason I chose Minimed over
Disetronics is
Reliability
and Durability of there pumps!!!         But from what
I here they are
both
great pumps and as for the remote that came with my
minimed 508 I don't
even use it, I wanted the 508, for the vibrate mode
because I couldn't
hear
the alarms well because I've lost 30 % of the hearing
in my right ear
and
the vibrate mode works better for me!!!!     I know
Diestronics gives
you 2
pumps, but if you have any problems with minimed pumps
they send you a
loaner fedex the very next day!!!     I find that to
be great service,
and
as for the software probs.their not that big a deal,
they sent all the
508
users a mailer instructing us on how to deal with the
prob. Until they
send
us all new 508 pumps after the first of the year!!!!
    This is how
feel  I hope I don't make any D users mad at me but
here goes !!!!!!!!!
 CJ
Jutras   Lewiston, Maine   The Cooooooold State    AND
AS ALWAYS THIS
IS MY
OPINION AND MY OPINION ONLY!!!!!!    AND I LOVE TOYOTA
 CARS AND THINK
DISETRONICS PUMPS ARE ALSO GREAT   {Just said that so
I don't get a
bunch
of nasty E-Mail}  TEE HEE  LOL

Disetronics v- 100   2 for  $ 5500.00     Two Toyota's
with alot of
great
features!!!
Minimed 508          1 for  $ 5500.00     One Cadalac
which is simply
loaded!!!

-