Re: [IP] but I'd call it "tough love"--Jen

Jen--You totally said it all right here.  As a parent, it is important to remember this.
I do think that the "overwhelming" aspects of the disease are the reason that almost every child I have ever met with diabetes seems to be a very mature, with-it kid.  This
is evidenced daily on this list.  The "BigD" does suck, but it is a disease that CAN be controlled, and if my kid had to get something chronic, I'm glad it was this.  Support is
really all we can do for our kids, and I too sometimes cry from the weight that my son has to carry.  Fortunately, the last 12 years since his diagnosis have brought some wonderful changes in care, and I KNOW that the next years will bring even more.

Hang in there and keep the faith.

  I said, "Most of the time, I'm fine.  I can do all this stuff that diabetes demands, and it doesn't feel overwhelming and unfair.  But every now and then, I want a freaking vacation from it.  I just hate, hate, hate that I can never get a break.  And I just cry because I have this stupid (insert the expletive of your choice) disease."  And my mom, very quietly, said, "Sometimes I do, too."  And it was one of the most subtle and profound displays of support I have ever gotten in terms of dealing with this disease.  Just knowing someone else was out there thinking about it and realizing that it is difficult and frightening and overwhelming at times.
>Hang in there.
>> From: "Michael" <email @ redacted>
>> Subject: Re: [IP] anger issues in children
>> Basically Eve needs to come to grips with the fact that life
>> goes on. She can take advantage of the opportunities she has or sit in the corner and sulk
>> about her misfortune.
>> Michael

LYCOShop is now open. On your mark, get set, SHOP!!!