[IP] Re: anger issues in children, but I'd call it "tough love"

Oooo!!  True, perhaps, but a little harsh.  In my nearly 14 years with diabetes, I have "taken advantage of the opportunities" afforded me by education and modern medical technology.  And every now and then, I also "sit in the corner and sulk about my misfortune".  I have not found those 2 things to be mutually exclusive.  Knowing the facts--that people care, that technology is amazing, that there are many worse diseases to have, that you can live a long, happy life with diabetes--does not necessarily keep you from feeling those twinges of self-pity from time to time.  What I have found is that those infrequent periods of moping and feeling frustrated and wronged and overwhelmed are usually followed by a return to my usual gratitude, confidence, and hope.  I think this is totally normal for people who live with chronic illnesses.

I say, as long as this "faze" doesn't go on too long or become too intense, just let it be.  Listen.  Tell her you agree that it's crappy that she has to go through this.  And let her go through it anyway.  I absolutely agree that talking to others her age who have diabetes is a good idea.  But not necessarily for advice on how to cope, more just to have someone to vent to, someone who understands.

I have shared this story before, but I want to share it again.  Several years ago, when I was in a funk about being diabetic, I was on the phone with my mom.  I said, "Most of the time, I'm fine.  I can do all this stuff that diabetes demands, and it doesn't feel overwhelming and unfair.  But every now and then, I want a freaking vacation from it.  I just hate, hate, hate that I can never get a break.  And I just cry because I have this stupid (insert the expletive of your choice) disease."  And my mom, very quietly, said, "Sometimes I do, too."  And it was one of the most subtle and profound displays of support I have ever gotten in terms of dealing with this disease.  Just knowing someone else was out there thinking about it and realizing that it is difficult and frightening and overwhelming at times.

Hang in there.