Re: [IP] Pump training time (was...pump Mom)

email @ redacted wrote:

> The questions are: How much education time (hours) did you have about
> intensive management BEFORE you went on the pump? And how much time (hours)
> did you have when you went on the pump? How much time was spent on homework
> or practice time at home?

I'm replying publicly because I think this is an interesting topic! :)

I had no formal education in intensive management before I decided to go
on the pump.

Having learned about carb-counting from the lists, I asked the CDE at
one of our local hospitals for some literature on it, and she refused,
telling me it was too dangerous for me to try by myself.

So, having no other resources, I asked a lot of questions on the lists,
and taught myself carb counting. I also went to multiple injections by
myself and presented it to my endo as a fait accompli.

When I started yearning for a pump, I asked my endo for one, and he said
it was more trouble than it was worth. Since I also had the idea (at the
time) that the  pump was only for full-fledged Type 1's, I wistfully
gave up the idea.

Then, about a year later, a dear friend of mine got a new 507c and
offered me his old 506. So I went to the endo and told him I HAD a pump
available and wanted to go on it, and this time, he suggested that I
might as well try to get my own new one.

Insurance hassles took a while, but finally I was approved -- at which
time I went to the OTHER hospital and had 14  outpatient hours of
pre-pump training, including saline hookup, carb-counting, glucagon,
button-pressing, etc. and 14 outpatient hours of insulin-hookup
observation. There was a little bit of homework on carb-counting, which
for me was easy, but might not be for someone else who hadn't worked on
it in advance.

The doc really wanted in-patient, but the insurance would not allow
that. Which was OK by me, because I really didn't need it -- I know my
own body, and I know how I react to insulin, because of having done MDI
for a couple of years. They did insist that I not stay alone the first
night -- so I stayed at my brother's house. They taught him how to use
glucagon, but it wasn't necessary -- I gave the kit to my friend who
gave me the 506. (Glucagon IS necessary for those who are prone to
severe hypos, but I've never had a hypo that I couldn't take care of

I actually think the process was pretty good for someone like me, who
was well-prepared for pumping, but if someone were to come into pumping
with less experience with insulin, or less educational background, then
it might be better to do the start up less intensively, but with more
time to digest the info and ask questions.

OK, more than you wanted to know, eh??

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted