[IP] Will my child die from diabetes - long

Dear Laura,

As one of the contributors to the thread on guilt, I felt in part
responsible for your feelings of despair.  I want to assure you that what I,
and I believe most others who contributed to this thread, said have to do
with the way newly diagnosed diabetics were treated 20 or more years ago.

At that time no one knew that good control could prevent complications.
Doctors didn't have any clinical evidence to convice us that maintaining
good control would help, so they tried to scare us into doing it with
stories about blindness, amputation, kidney failure etc.. We had to take it
on sheer faith that trying to maintain normal blood sugars would keep us
healthy.  And maintaining normal blood sugars was pretty impossible.

Imagine trying to maintain normal blood sugars with inadequate data (urine
tests) and unpredictable insulin.  It's a lot of work.  And still you don't
know for sure whether what you're doing is worth while.  It was pretty
tough.

But we made it!  We have lives! We have children!  None or few of the
doomsday stories came true!  So I think you should consider this a source of
hope.

Now we know for a fact that maintaining close to normal blood sugars over
the long run  prevents and can often reverse diabetic complications.  We
have awesome technologies to help us maintain normal blood
sugars--especially home blood sugar monitors, the insulin pump, and humalog
or humalin.  We have nutritional information printed on the packaging of
just about everything we eat, so carb counting is remarkably easy.  And
doctors these days are for the most part much more sensitive to the
psychological impact that a diagnosis of diabetes can have on the
patient--not to mention her parents.

I think you can be confident that with good control over her blood sugars in
the long run your daughter can expect to have the same life expectancy as
anyone in a similar situation without diabetes.

Wait, I need to say this again, because it makes me so happy!  I think you
can be confident that with good control over her blood sugars in the long
run your daughter can expect to have the same life expectancy as anyone in a
similar situation without diabetes

And please be sure to take care of yourself as well as you take care of your
daughter. You have a lot to deal with.

Warm regards,

Liz
IDDM for 29 years without complications whose sister is IDDM for 26 years
without complications.  We're both pumpng.