Re: [IP] Will my child die from diabetes?

In a message dated 12/10/1999 2:02:26 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< y god, the thought of her losing a limb or her eyesight...
 in this day and age does that happen if you have good maintenance?  if you
 are on the pump and have excellent maintenance?  >>

Yes, those thoughts have always been on my mind too.  I was dx'd at 19 yo,
I'm 39 now.  I've been through my first laser for eyes and had my share of
the other complications too.  BUT, THE GOOD NEWS IS . .. nothing has
progressed any further since I've been pumping the last 4 years (6-7 HgA1c).
As far as the reasons why I got the complications at all, I had less than
great, even really bad, control for the first 16 years (10-14 HgA1cs).  I did
try most of the time, just one of those whose body bounces between 40 and 400
on MDI.  And every time I was in good control, I was eating so much to keep
up with the insulin I just gave up, that is until PUMPING.  There is no
reason why your daughter won't live a normal life span.  Even if a cure is
long coming, we have so much better tools and information available now.  I'm
sure you've looked at the DCCT.  Imagine the control we can have with a
glucowatch.  Even if the first few versions are cumbersome, look at how fast
technology is advancing, they'll get it right soon.  She's not going to lose
a limb if you go to the Dr immediately with an ulcer.  The sight is a slow
progressive thing, no reason problems won't be detected and corrected early.

Yes, its a crappy hand to be dealt, but I'd rather have diabetes than any
number of other ailments.  I've got my mind and my body is sound as long as I
take care of it.