Re: [IP] Will my child die from diabetes?

At 01:01 PM 12/10/1999  Laura Lentini wrote:
 >I know no one can answer this, but what are the stats for a person
 >who gets
 >D young in life and has good control.  I'm having a very hard time with some
 >of the current e-mails about death and diabetes.

As we were discussing in another thread, there are no guarantees in this
life. However, with good care and little genetic luck, there is no reason
why your daughter can't have a relatively normal life. My sister, who
became diabetic at age 9, is 55 now. She hasn't always taken the best care
of herself, but she is still alive, well and kicking. I'm sure that you
will get many other examples from this list.

The bottom line is, to try not to worry about it (easier said than done, I
know). But, the more concerned you are about it the more anxious your
daughter will become too... kids have a way of picking up on these things.
Just take life one day at a time and enjoy and appreciate what you have
now. That's all any of us can do because none of us know how long of a life
span we will have.