From: Fennessy, Colleen J CHPPM
[mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 1999 12:41 PM
To: 'email @ redacted'
Subject: RE: [IP] how low can you go?

	I'll apologize in advance for the griping, but along the lines of
this thread...when i woke up this morning my bg was 19.  25 minutes and .5 c
OJ later it was 36.  After another 25 min, 4 dextrose tabs, and vomiting
episode, it was up to 56.   I felt horrible - nauseated, headache, dizzy.
When i checked at 10 am, my bg was up to 300!  I haven't felt this
out-of-control since i was a child.  I've been low just about every morning
since i started pumping last week, and the couple of times i've slept thru'
my 3 am alarm it's been dangerously low by morning.  Obviously my basal
should be lower at night.  I'm taking 0.6/hr, and yesterday my dr. approved
dropping it to .5/hr for 12-5 am.  After a horrible morning, i'm thinking
about reducing it again to .4 for 12-5.  My minimed educator told me that i
can't adjust my basals w/o my dr.s approval.  I'm not getting very quick
feedback from her, though.  Can i get some feedback from the list on
self-adjusting your basals?
	I should also mention that these bg's were from an accu-chek
complete.  I received the complete monday as a freebie and decided to use it
because my dr.s office prefers it.  I've done about 6 simultaneous tests
using the complete and my dex and noticed that the complete readings have
been significantly lower than my dex.  I first decided to do a comparison
tuesday when my a.m. reading was 25 and i felt OK.  When i used my dex it
said 56.  Needless to say i didn't retest my 19 this morning.  I know that
because the dex approximates plasma bg and the complete whole blood, the dex
tends to run higher, but this much higher?  I'm used to the dex readings
now, and had an elite before that, which i think also approximates plasma.
I don't want to be treating lows when my complete says 70, and i'm really
more like 90.  Has anyone had a similar experience with the complete?  Which
are the 'real' numbers?
	In the last 7 days, i've also experienced a 'gusher',
wing-irritation, 2 accidental set removals, and my pump is still ticking
like a clock every 7 seconds.  These things combined with the 12+ tests i've
been doing every day are wearing on me.  Are my problems typical for
brand-new pumpers?  If things are going to get worse than this i might go
back to MDI!
Sorry again for the complaining.  Thanks for your input :)
pumping for 7 days