Dextrostix...was [IP] Old BG Machines

On Thu, 09 Dec 1999 email @ redacted wrote

Joyce wrote:
> > My husband has Type II diabetes, and yesterday he had same-day orthoscopic
surgery on his right knee. Because he was diabetic, the nurse took his blood
sugar twice. She used a meter I'd never seen before. The drop of blood was
huge, the strip sat for a long time, the nurse dabbed the blood off, and then
we waited as she finally inserted the strip into the machine.

I remember the first one my doctor's office had (pre 1980). It sounded very
similar to the one Joyce described except that after so many seconds of
putting the blood on the strip, you would squirt it off with water. Then you
would insert it into the machine (no digital display at all). Then the gauge
would fluctuate back

OK.  For all you kids this was the ORIGINAL pre-destrometer Ames dextrometer.
The ability to test blood glucose values using an external strip goes back to
at least '65 (which is when I first saw this monster at camp) and was follwed
in the eighties with a plastic dextrometer that was HUGE next to today's
meters but TINY next to the one described above.

The dextrometer was actually not a bad machine if you could put up with the
washing and wiping of the test strips.  Needless to say the test strips were
all wash and wear back then until BG came up with a wipe only strip (of course
one had to wipe JUST ENOUGH so that blood was gone but strip wasn't).

Oh the good old days.  No appreciation of using the same syringe for a week,
making a clinitest vocanoe a few times a day and boiling one's needles before
(or after) every shot.

 This message sent to you from the desk of
  Yerachmiel Bruchya haLevi Altman's computer.