Re: [IP] Testing...How Often is Too Often??

> Hi all!
> I wanted to get the opinion of other people who are using the pump.  Do you
> find that once you went on the pump, your need for blood testing increased,
> decreased or was there no change?  I've been on the pump for almost a year
> now, and have found that I'm testing much more frequently than I ever have
> before.
My daughter went from testing 3 - 4 times a day to 7-10 times a day.
She did this on her own, we've never pushed her to test. My best
assessment is that this gives her the control she wants over her
diabetes instead of the other way around.

> Part of the problem is that I've had Type 1 for over 20 years now
> and have developed hypoglycemic unawareness.
Most physicians advise that your target bg be raised for a few weeks
(6 - 8 if necessary) to help you regain awareness. Lily raised hers
to 150 for about 2 months and her awareness returned.

> The other concern I have (and
> part of why I test frequently) is that I am very sensitive to Humalog, which
> is what I'm using with the pump.  2 units will lower my glucose by about
> 100.
That's about right, same as my daughter. Lily did not like the quick
drop that H produced sometimes (not always). Since she began mixing V
with her H, this phenomonen has gone away. She uses a 5/1 H/V mix.
There is little apparent difference in onset and timing with respect
to meal bolus, but she says the effect is much smoother.

> I've heard 5-10 times per day is the norm, but I often add up my daily tests
> and find I've exceeded that range.

See the graph on the about page for the averages for the mail list

> My insurance company is trying to give
> me the old "diabetics test 4 times per day" business.

> I'm being excessive?
You are right in the middle of the pack.

>My endo seems to have no problem prescribing
me with
> the strips...it's just the insurance company balking at it.

Tough for them. They have a contract to provide you with care. Make
them live up to it.