[IP] Testing...How Often is Too Often??

Hi all!

I wanted to get the opinion of other people who are using the pump.  Do you
find that once you went on the pump, your need for blood testing increased,
decreased or was there no change?  I've been on the pump for almost a year
now, and have found that I'm testing much more frequently than I ever have
before.  Part of the problem is that I've had Type 1 for over 20 years now
and have developed hypoglycemic unawareness.  The other concern I have (and
part of why I test frequently) is that I am very sensitive to Humalog, which
is what I'm using with the pump.  2 units will lower my glucose by about

Basically, I test before meals and 1-1.5 hours after meals.  If my target
sugar after meals is high, I take another dose and test 1-1.5 hours after
that.  I always test before driving and before and after doing any type of
planned exercise.  I test again before bedtime and when I wake up.  And of
course, if I have a low I take 15 grams of carbs and test again in 15
minutes to check that I'm headed in an upward direction :)

I've heard 5-10 times per day is the norm, but I often add up my daily tests
and find I've exceeded that range.  My insurance company is trying to give
me the old "diabetics test 4 times per day" business.  In my opinion, that
sort of thinking is on par with "diabetics need only take two doses of
insulin per day."  :P

So, can anyone give me the benefit of their experience and let me know if
I'm being excessive?  My endo seems to have no problem prescribing me with
the strips...it's just the insurance company balking at it.

Last bit of info: my last HbA1C was 6.5.