Re: [IP] Re: young teen girl wants off pump

> I want to thank all of you who replied with thoughts on our situation.  Dana
> is in 8th grade and is VERY concerned with appearance right now.  She is a
> cheerleader & planned on unhooking her sil at games & competitions.
Nothing wrong with this, my daughter frequently unhooks for sports
competitions, dances, etc...

> actually thought that the pump was a cool accessory!  And so did the kids at
> school!  She insists that her reason is twofold:1) she has gained 5 lbs in 3
> weeks on a reduced carb diet which she started at pump training, and 2) she
> hates the pump bumps.  ("Mom, how can I wear a bikini with these red dots
> all over my belly?")  Her site from yesterday is inflamed & her ped. put her
> on antibiotics.

If she wears her sets on her lower abdomen and hip (upper butt), the
spots won't show. Sounds like something else is going on anyway. The
pump bumps usually are caused by an irritant, allergy to insulin
component, set, or she could be a staph carrier in which case some
additional hygiene precautions will eliminate the problem.

 >She never minded shots, just that she couldn't
> sleep in &
> that her bg's were all over since menses. She is my middle daughter & is
> very strongwilled, so the more I push, the more she pulls! Today she said" I
> feel so free!" not on the pump.  Then came the 230 bg at bedtime!!!!  I'm
> sorry to be so long, but I am  having a hard time allowing her freedom to
> choose something that may not be in her best interest medically.  Probably
> the age- old power-struggle every parent of teens goes through, but
> magnified because of D.  We have an appt next week at the ped. endo, and
> will do MDI till then. (I'm hoping that she'll miss sleeping in & get tired
Sounds like there are still some management issue that need to be
addressed. My daughter is 16 and has pumped for 5 years. There have
been all sorts of problems like the one's above which have been
addressed. Pumping has always been easier for Lily and she has never
wanted to go back to shots, but all the other issues have come up.
You're not the only one having to deal with these things.