Re: [IP]young teen girl wants "off" pump

>>My 13 yr old was pumping for 3 weeks
>Sounded enthusiastic then :)
>>& wants to go back on MDI.
>>She has a definite body image problem
>>(always being connected to the pump).

     Just wanted to say that I'm sorry your daughter is struggling with the
pump.  :(  and maybe offer a few suggestions.

>Is this an age by which young girls are typically wearing
>bra consistently, daily ?  If so, that device might
>be employed (other women & girls can advise here too!)
>for carrying the pump in a less-exposed less-obvious
>position than the usual-for-MiniMed "outside on waistband".

     David: yes.  However, I don't think it would be much more comfortable
for a girl eating lunch at school to suddenly have to reach down her shirt
to bolus.  (I never really understood this concept!) Also, especially at age
13 (and even for some of us long after that :) ! I don't really think that
wearing the pump in a bra is quite so "invisible!"  I have a minimed pump
and if I don't want people to see it, they don't.  I usually wear it on my
pocket, because I suppose I'm lucky in that everyone at school either
doesn't notice it or they think it's cool.  But 12th grade is alot different
than 7th or 8th.  I'm not sure how I would have felt at that point-it's
definately understandable to have some second (third, fourth) thoughts.
However, I have carried it inside my pocket, inside the waistband, or with
the long tubing have worn it in my sock or on my calf.

>Disconnection can be for a minute while dressing up to
>half an hour to maybe (but less likely or realistic
>the longer it goes) 1-2-3 hours of exercise.

     If you don't want to worry about the pump for a certain occasion, like
a dance or party or swimming or anytime you really don't want people to see
it, you can always take an injection of humalog! Instead of giving up the
pump totally, if you REALLY feel uncomfotable, why not work out a system for
disconnecting for long periods of time? It isn't easy, but I've done it and
it works.  You just need to figure out how long straight humalog lasts in
your body. :)  At least you could use the pump overnight at the very least,
which would still help alot.  Not the best situation in my humble opinion,
but better than nothing!

I expect there has probably been
>somebody at school bothering her about it.

  If this is the case, it's unfortunate and really mean.

>Can Dana "talk" with Gianna as with an older sister ?

  I'd love to talk if you want!  I won't pretend that wearing a pump is
always easy but it has definately been worth it! For me, I'd rather deal
with having to explain why I have a "pager" than have to decline spur of the
moment snacks or anything else that is affected by the MDI schedule we know
so well.  Please write me, post here, or contact me at one of my instant
message names below!!

{{{{hugs}}}}}} --Gianna

"The world is no longer a romantic place.  Some of its people still are,
Therein lies the promise." --Anonymous

aol screen name:  grm piano
ICQ number:  54640163
ICQ nickname:  Gianna