[IP] Re: Reality (and High bgs) BITE!

In a message dated 12/5/99 11:10:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< So every once in a while, it has to BITE so as to remind you that it's
 still there! >>
  VERY valid observation....Melissa was babysitting last night & we were
about 45 minutes away, having dinner at a friend's new house. Hubby's cell
phone rang at 9:15 & it was Melissa calling to say she felt awful, had
checked & she was 413 and her infusion set had come out!! First time in
years- truly!! And of course, the one time she didn't have her purse with her
insulin pen, since she hadn't driven to babysit....so good 'old mom & dad
said a hasty good-bye, zoomed home to retrieve her pen, drove to her
"rescue", where I suggested she inject 12 units (figured she needed 7 to drop
her almost 300 pts & at that high a bg, she'd need nearly double to
counterract the insulin resistance)...
    When she arrived home 3/4 of an hour later, she felt horrible, nauseous,
etc....so we let her rest for 45 minutes & then told her she had to do a new
insertion.....Guess we "guesstimated" ok, because by 12:30 she was 235 &
awakened at 9:00 this morning at 84.....
     But as Natalie said, we HAD gotten a little too complacent....

Regards, Renee