Re: [IP] Pumping at preschool?

What we all need to remember is that daycare
institutions, public education institutions, and
employers simply cannot discriminate against people
with diabetes under the Americans with Disabilities
Act (ADA), section 504 and IDEA act.  Denying any
child any part of their diabetes mgt regime whether it
is insulin or testing is discrimination and any
institution needs to hear an informed parent using the
words ADA and discrimination is the same sentence.
Reading this makes my blood boil.  We've just had a 15
month long battle with our school system in Loudoun
County and finally have everything our kids need in
school including class room testing after a new state
law and major involvement with OCR.  The agreement
with Kindercare, years ago, set a precedent (suit was
over the finger stick) that even day care cannot
discriminate against kids with diabetes under ADA
(because they are a public place). Any other day care
institution would be held up to the same standards.
Performing a bolus for a preschooler should be the
same as giving another child oral meds during the day.
 Ask the daycare what other meds they give their kids,
then use the comparison.  This a health related task
not a medical procedure.  Would this daycare give a
glucagon shot?  Just a few questions I'd start asking
of the decision makers at this preschool.

Please keep us informed!

Sandi