[IP] Dear Supergirl,

Dear Supergirl,

My guess is that experiences vary greatly from individual to individual and that
it's a mix of physical and psychological help.

My personal take on it is that it's o.k. to use whatever you need to take care of
yourself, BUT the fewer "tricks" you rely on, the better shape you'll be in when
they aren't available.  So. . . while I usually use the sof-serter to put in sets,
I first learned to put them in manually and also use Sils, which have to be put in
manually.  The night the sof-serter refuses to work, I'll be able to cope.  I also
use a lancet device, but when I lost mine in college and didn't have a backup, I
just poked the lancets in manually for several weeks until I got another one.  I
think, especially for kids, it's o.k. to use whatever tricks are needed to make
the experience less traumatic, but you also have to be prepared for the unexpected
and able to cope with the "glitch of the day."