[IP] Supergirl, was "painless shots"

 Sorry for the title.  I know I will probably get flamed for saying this,
but I am a bit confused.

I was diagnosed at age 4 and although I kicked and screamed for the first
few shots I got over it when I realized it hurt less if I didn't squirm. :)
Ok so at age 5 I went to a diabetic summer camp and learned to give my own
shots and haven't turned back since.  (23 now) So here's the thing.  I never
have used anything to numb the skin before giving a shot.  As a kid I was
into a ton of sports and was all muscle with no padding.  I injected and
went on without blinking an eye.  I can only remember feeling two pain with
two shots in my life.  One was in the stomach when I hit something ( I am
guessing a vein of some sort) which caused a tennis ball sized bruise to
appear around the area.  That pain went away in a matter of minutes but left
the mark for much longer.  The other was a shot my dad gave me in the arm
right into the muscle.  I felt it only slightly but a big egged shaped lump
appeared which caused him to call the doctor.  I was 6 and remember my dad
appologizing over and over again.  I remember telling him not to worry about
it and asking if I could go back outside to play. :)  This past week I
needed to do three set changed to practice for going live on Monday morning.
I put in two softsets and a sil/tender/comfort.  All without numbing the
skin.  I actually felt very very little with the sil and nothing with the
two softsets.  So I guess my question is am I supergirl or is numbing a
psychological help, or is it just I am missing something?

Thanks,
Sherry