Re: [IP] inf. set/pizza fiasco

In a message dated 12/4/99 9:43:09 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< i don't know how much of my initial bolus did get in, so i don't
know if i'll get low in an hour or two. the other thing is, we've been
planning this pastry thing for a couple weeks, and i've been really psyched
to have a cannoli! soooo ... what should i do? just take a regular bolus
for the pastries (assuming i've dropped some by then), and then check and
check and check to make sure i don't go low? or should i just avoid the
pastries altogether? (don't really want to do that ...) help!  >>

Do you have a good site functioning now?  You do have several variables here:
the current site, the uncertainty about how much insulin you needed for the
pizza, the uncertaintly about how much insulin you actually injected for the
pizza  -- and is the amount needed for cannoli also unknown, or is that
something already figured out by practice? (a lot of people have to
experiment a bit to get things like that right).

So I personally think you already have so much uncertainty here, how much
more would there be with a little bit of pastry?(unless you have
gastroparesis or something that causes problems with fats or overeating --
but you would know if you did -- and of course might still decide it was
worth it)  Just don't use it as good evidence of what cannoli does to your
blood sugar -- too many variables.  And I would try to get the level down a
bit before I started eating.  But, yeah, I would check every hour or so for
maybe 3 hours after the bolus (if using humalog), and in the middle of the
night.  The pump and glucose monitoring are tools for living the way you want
to live -- might as well push the envelope sometimes if you want to -- how
else can you make good decisions next time about whether it is worth it?

Linda Z