[IP] Donating blood

Several of you have posted your experiences with donating blood, or being
rejected for donation by the Red Cross.  Next time, tell the Red Cross staff
that the FDA changed it's regulations several years ago; type 1 diabetics are
allowed by the FDA to donate blood (since January 1995, I believe).  Prior to
that time, the FDA had a regulation that insulin-dependent diabetics could
not donate.

I tried several times to donate here in Virginia; in Jan. 1995, a drive was
being held at work and I was asked if I'd donated yet.  I replied that I
couldn't, I was an insulin-dependent diabetic.  The staffer for Virginia
Blood Services then informed me of the change in FDA regs and I began
donating.  I've been on the pump since Oct. 1998 and have donated several
times since then.

Good luck to all with your desire to help others by donating.