[IP] self-care during hospitalizations

Regarding the handout to a support group about self-care for diabetics
during hospital stays:
    I can remember back in those *good ol' days* when I asked nurses what my
BG was and was told, "Oh, your doctor will have to tell you tomorrow when he
sees you!"  Now, I tell HIM!
    But, a patient who has had anesthesia and been cut on doesn't always
have full mental faculties and unable to make correct decisions. A mini
crash course prior to surgery seems in order for those who will be in charge
at that time so there is proper care. Of course, I'm speaking from the
standpoint of no family who is involved with needs/care. It does happen.
Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pumping 16 yrs)