[IP] Re: I couldn't give my child a shot *Parents*

However, I am one of those people in
>the "I don't know if I could give myself a shot" category. Please, don't
>everyone jump on me for saying that. I know that the other choice is to
>die without insulin, but still, I honestly don't know if I could do it.
>When I was younger I actually worried that I might become diabetic and
>die from it because I wouldn't be able to give myself injections!

>Perhaps with some therapy I would be able to get over the needle

Laura (& others),

I grew up as one of those kids who was terrified beyond belief when it came
to needles...a much respected pediatrician in our area terminated my
position as his patient when I belted him in the jaw when he approached me
with a needle!  (No, I am not by any stretch the violent type...but as a
panic-stricken twelve-year-old, I guess I had a pretty mean left hook!)
When I was dxed at age 21, I knew that I would NEVER be able to handle
injections on a regular basis, so I was thrilled to pieces when the doctor
prescribed micronase & told me to just watch what I ate & go about my
regular business...this "diabetes stuff" didn't seem like such a bad thing
after all.  A little over a year later, however, the honeymoon was over, & I
was told that shots were the only option.  The nurse at the college clinic
who taught me was wonderful...after we practiced with fruit, she had me
inject her, then she would inject me, taking turns until I was brave enough
to try doing it myself.  When I finally reached that point (yes, it took me
quite a while), I was completely amazed to discover that it really DIDN'T
hurt as much when I was the one doing it!

I attributed that to something psychological, reasoning it out to people who
couldn't quite grasp what I was talking about by comparing it with the fact
that for many people, it doesn't seem to hurt nearly as much when YOU are
the one trying to take out your own splinter, as opposed to someone else
doing it.  A few years ago, though, a friend sent me an article from a
medical journal (I WISH I had hung onto it!) about this.  The doctor who
wrote it explained that it is not psychological (although that may play some
role), but actually physiological...that there is actually some messenger in
your brain that, when you are about to consciously act upon yourself,
notifies the receiving area of what is about to take place, so that you
don't experience the pain (or at least not to the same degree) that you
would if the action was being taken by an outside party.  This also explains
why you can't tickle youself, & how some people manage to do things that
look terribly painful to themselves without blinking an eye!

Now I am not a doctor nor any kind of medical expert, but it was put into
simple enough layman's terms for me to "get it" & say  "okay, this DOES make
sense...the injections really DON'T hurt as much, because I'm the one giving
them." (as Sara would say, KEWL!)  Although I'm glad it seems to work that
way (at least for me, & some others I've talked to), it's one of those
reasons I worry about parents continuing to be the "shot-givers" into the
teen years.  I realize that everyone's situation is different, & I am not
criticizing those parents who work so hard to give their kids the very best
of care...but I don't know if many of them realize that if they can
determine that their child is ready (knowledgeable enough, daring enough...I
know a lot of things factor in here) & encourage him to work toward doing
the injection/site insertion himself, all parties involved might be VERY
happy to discover that it really & truly does not hurt- because the body has
a wonderful means of inner-communication that can serve to protect it from
pain that is self-induced.  I realize that no one rule works for
everyone...but if it's something you've never thought about before, it is
worth considering.

Please DON'T shoot me for sharing info that is not exactly my field (I'm not
a doctor, & I don't think I've ever played one on TV, either)...I'm just
offering food for thought to those who fear the "shotmonster".
Incidentally, I STILL am panic-stricken at the idea of being given a
shot...some things just don't change!  :)