[IP] Remembering our kids are still kids....

Dear Lynn & Jodi:
     I've been enjoying this "thread" about teens, since I have 2 teens also
- both girls- 18 months apart!! The good news is they DO improve with age,
like fine wines & cheese! LOL....Having survived the "how did my parents get
so dumb so fast" stage, I'm happy to report that they both actually SOLICIT
our input at times...
     As for the forgotten boluses, I spoke to 2 friends today who have
teenaged daughters with diabetes (pumpers) & both conversations revolved
around just how mature, responsible & "centered" our kids have become because
of their diabetes. Yes, they will make mistakes, forget to do things, make
unwise choices, etc. but because they have such a tangible consequence for
their missteps ( unlike their peers), they're far more likely to self-correct
in the future. After months of normal bgs ( comparatively so),if Melissa
forgets to bolus ( a rarity, but can happen) the resulting high bgs make her
feel incredibly AWFUL. She certainly doesn't need ME to chastise her, since
she does a suffcient job by herself! It's unrealistic to think that these
kids can't function without our "hovering", as difficult as that may be to
accept, but ultimately, what we all want for these children with diabetes is
the relative "peace of mind" that comes from knowing that they ARE able to
"trouble shoot" eventually & "fly solo".
    Bottom line: I liken it to standing in a pool & tossing in pebbles that
create a ripple effect....each pebble represents one "ripple"step further
back that I can take, as I see my daughter getting ready to  leave this
protective nest.....

Regards, Renee (pump mom for 3 1/2 yrs to almost 17 yr old Melissa)