Re: [IP] square wave bolus

On 31 Dec 98 at 9:36, email @ redacted wrote:

> Have other people found uses for the square wave bolus?
> When I asked the Disetronic salesman whether their pump had the square wave
> bolus option he said yes, but he was skeptical, asking why I would EVER want
> to do that anyway.  When we were injecting H&U (for my son age 7) one of the
> problems was that the suppertime humalog made him too low after supper and
> then too high later in the evening.  We solved that by mixing regular insulin
> with his suppertime H&U.  I thought a square wave bolus might be the
> equivalent pumping solution.  The pump trainer and the nurse thought we
> wouldn't have the problem on the pump, but so far the BGs are looking like we
> might.  It is unlikely that my son has digestion problems, since this only
> seems to happen at supper time. -Carol G

I use the square wave a lot, especially for pizza, prime rib and similar foods.
It's also useful if I'm a little low before a meal - I just go ahead and start
the bolus over 30 minutes instead of waiting to bolus after the meal.  I also
use it in the evening because most of the time my bg does like your son's after
the evening meal.

Randall P. Winchester
* misunderstood something.