[IP] Re: snorkeling with the pump

** Reply to message from insulin-pumpers-digest

> Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 23:51:38 -0600
> From: "Bob Aiken" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Snorkeling With The Pump
> I have a question regarding your recent reply to the "IP Re: Disetronic
> Problems" post from 12/29/98.
> I recently (1 1/2 months) started on the Disetronic.  Later this winter I'm
> going to the Caribbean where I intend to spend 90% of my time snorkeling.
> The problem is that I like to dive down a lot, sometime up to 30 feet, but
> usually 15' range.  Is this the type of snorkeling you do with your pump or
> do you stay mainly on the surface?  If you were doing some diving when the
> salt water got inside, how deep do you think you were when the tappets lost
> it?

When I snorkel I never dive more than about 6-8 feet.  I don't think it was a
question of the pressure exceeding what the tappet could stand, but the tappet
simply getting slightly mis-aligned.  Talking to the Disetronic people, I was
told to simply dry out the cartridge chamber (which seems pretty well isolated
from the electronics stuff) but to use something lint-free to do it.  When this
happened I had been on the pump for only a couple of months and didn't know what
to expect or how to deal with "routine" problems.

The Disetronic seems pretty rugged but I wouldn't wear it for scuba diving
(among other things, I've heard that the pressure on the tubing can screw up
dosage) or other deep diving.

>  ... my  Endo ... he suggested getting off the pump 7 - 10 days before I leave
> and going to Ultra Lente and Humalog injections for the entire trip.

That certainly sounds like over-cautious overkill.  My experience is that my
endo tends to say "no" about anything he doesn't know about.

Richard G. Larson,  Professor,       Dept of Math., Stat., and Comp. Sci.
U. of Ill. at Chicago,  851 S. Morgan St, M/C 249,  Chicago IL 60607-7045
(312) 996-8616   email: email @ redacted    homepage: http://www.uic.edu/~rgl/
PGP key fingerprint:     FA 6A 8D 21 41 0D 33 E9  E4 5F 46 83 50 C1 34 09