Re: [IP] Snorkeling With The Pump

At 11:51 PM 12/30/98 -0600, Bob Aiken wrote to Richard:

>I recently (1 1/2 months) started on the Disetronic.  Later this winter I'm
>going to the Caribbean where I intend to spend 90% of my time snorkeling.
>The problem is that I like to dive down a lot, sometime up to 30 feet, but
>usually 15' range.  Is this the type of snorkeling you do with your pump or
>do you stay mainly on the surface?  If you were doing some diving when the
>salt water got inside, how deep do you think you were when the tappets lost

Technically, the Disetronic is waterproof for "surface water activity",
meaning activity which does *not* require use of supplemental breathing
apparatus. This means *no* for snorkeling or scuba diving. I recall seeing
a specification listed somewhere which states it shouldn't be used below a
certain depth - pretty shallow, like 8 feet or so.

> I had already assumed that the pump would have problems and talked to my
>Endo about it.  I was thinking of regular during the day and back on the
>pump at night, he suggested getting off the pump 7 - 10 days before I leave
>and going to Ultra Lente and Humalog injections for the entire trip.  FWIW,
> the piston rod on my pump ( and the spare that came with it) looks like it
>is now made out of stainless steel.

I don't really see why your endo would have you return to MDI therapy for
your trip, simply because you're going to be doing a lot of snorkeling. The
whole ordeal of returning to Ultra Lente and Humalog, then converting back
when you return is probably not necessary. Your thoughts are similar to the
routines adopted by many pumpers for things like this.

One of the real joys of the insulin pump is the flexibility when you
travel. There are different ways to deal with disconnecting from the pump
for dive time by using well timed boluses, possibly injections of Regular
(strange how we now consider this a "longer acting insulin").

If this gets Michael's attention, he'll chime in with some suggestions. His
daughter does quite well when spending time diving. They've worked out some
good routines which maintain good BGs, while allowing ample flexibility.

BTW, the piston rods which now ship for the Disetronic are made of
stainless steel. I had actually forgotten that the older ones were brass,
or similar metal.

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted