In a message dated 12/29/98 7:00:45 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<<Hi Kate, you had better believe good numbers can cause insurance denials,
you're wiser than I was to realize this beforehand.  My pre-pump A1c of 5.8
was ABSOLUTELY a problem in gaining insurance approval.  >>

My endo was a little worried about approval because my last 2 A1c's had both
been 5.8 also, but she was able to write it up with the emphasis on the
difficulty I was having avoiding highs and lows (and the copies of my diary I
had to send did show some 30s and some 300s, although it is hard for me to
believe anyone seriously looked at them, or if so were able to decipher them).
Mimimed was able to get preliminary approval from the insurance company in
about 3 days.   So it is possible.  But I know the frustration of finding that
your great efforts have caused you to be considered less in need.