Re: [IP] getting used to the pump??

My health would not let me keep up with my college peers. I had to
take a year off and go back with a new sense of commitment, a more
peaceful and consistant lifestyle. I became dissatisfied with my slow
pace and found work instead. I could not continue working full time
and studying part time. My wise doctor told me that I should not take a
class more than one night per week as it would cut into my excercise
time. I was eventualy able to return to full time school without working.
And at age 35 I received my master degree in electrical engineering.

I advise you to take it easy in carrer and education. If you expect
the first couple months on a pump to be an improvement then
you will likely be disapointed. I'm sometimes disapointed at my
slow personal growth. And this first four weeks on the pump has
been some of my worst diabetes controll ever.

Do get the book "Pumping Insulin". Use the workbook to set your
initial doses. Read the instructions in the pump manual and the
inserts in the reservoir box and in the infusion set box. It will take some
clear thinking and concentration. The only mistake I made was
in not reading "Pumping Insulin" first.

The trainer plans to give you two hours of instruction. period.
The only thing I learned from her was that to take a shower you
release the infustion set and replace it with a plug. That plug is
the mysterious extra piece in the infusion set package.

>>> "Julie Britt" <email @ redacted> 12/28 4:33 PM >>>
I'm in a bit of a tight spot, and I'm looking for some
input/suggestions.  In November, I decided to withdraw from college to
come home and get well, and start pump therapy.  Well, it's been almost
2 months, and I'm supposed to go back to school (in OK- I'm in FL now)
Jan 7.  We have the pump here, but no trainer, and we're having real
problems finding one.  I'm worried that, if they can't train me until a
day or 2 before I leave, if I will be able to get used to it.  I mean,
I'll go straight to insulin, and only have to one-day training session
for a couple hours.  I'm worried that I'll have to deal with the pump
and my diabetes, in addition to moving back, taking classes and
studying, a part time job, and seeing a shrink.  I don't want to end up
with low grades because of it.  I could feasibly stay here at my
parents' house and get a full-time job, but i'd miss a semester of
school.  I have already begun thinking of transferring to a school in
this state for the summer and next fall, but there isn't enough time to
transfer before the spring semester.  If anyone could give me input, how
you got used to it and what kind of problems I could expect, I'd greatly
appreciate it.