[IP] No subject given

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998 "Gina Waltemath" <email @ redacted> wrote:
     > I am a single mother of a 17 year old daughter who has been a pumper
     > since July.  Our experience has not been good up to this point.  She
     > uses the MiniMed 507C with Humalog.  She has 3 different basal rates
     > and counts carbs to cover meals.  Christmas day she went in to
     > ketoacidosis due to high sugars and dehydration and was in the
     > hospital for three days.  We will be seeing a new endocrinoligist
     > the end of January.  Some days it does not seem to matter what we do
     > - the sugars are still high.  Some days it seems  like she is just
     > not absorbing the insulin at all.
Without knowing anything other than your daughter's age and length of service on
pump I can take 150 guesses off the top of my head BUT there are some VERY VERY
BASIC things that all of have to do.

1] How much is SHE in control of what she is doing and HOW MUCH is she trained??

2] How about getting HER on line.  It is nice with the smaller kids to have mom
   do the typing and thinking but by the time a kid is around 10-15 they should
   be old enough to 'do it' themselves (or it just ain't gonna fly)  (take this
   from one of the users who is soon to hit his twenties on the pump )

3] BASAL RATES are the PRIME thing to adjust.  Until these are adjusted nothin'
   is gonna work

4] If there are specific questions, sugar readings, times/dates/readings, etc
   please feel free to write up to list or to contact those members who get back
   to you individually.

5] Do all of us a MAJOR FAVOR.  Since you're pretty much just starting out to
   get advice on pump usage from the list SAVE EVERYTHING so that when the 'new
   pumpers faq' is updated you can re-mail all of the stuff to the person who
   is 'blessed' with putting it together.

Yerachmiel Altman