Re: [IP] Arrrrgh, again!!

"Natalie A. Sera" wrote:
> Insurance has APPROVED pump and training, BUT they will only pay 50% of
> a $150 lifetime maximum for the training. Oh, and by the way, the
> training totals $3830.

I can't see why the training would cost anywhere near this much, Natalie.
The companmy I bought mine from had a "trainer" (who read it from cards,
I was their first pump customer) come over for a few evenings and review
it all at minor expens, something below $100. Then I wewnt in the hospital
for 3 days, which was also covered. Anymore people don't seem to go in the
hospital for it, so the expense should be very small, as long as your doc
will answer minor queestions over the phone, or the manufacturers 800
number technical support as needed can fill in further in-depth  questions.
> So now I have to figure out how to convince my doc to prescribe the pump
> (which they will cover 80%), and let me go my merry way with it -- I
> have some private resources (otherwise known as friends) who are CDE,
> advanced practice nurses (in Ohio, but it would STILL be TONS cheaper to
> buy a plane ticket to Ohio!) PLUS lots of willing problem-solvers in
> abundance right HERE.

Go for it!
> I ALSO found out that I'm not covered under Nevada's recently passed law
> -- yes, it mandates coverage of diabetes supplies and education, but
> only for commercial companies -- if you're in a "self-funded" plan,
> you're SOL, buddy!

So complain to your insurance coordinator at work. Make sure they understand
that you won't stand for this kind of discrimination, since they DO have a

Ted Quick