[IP] Ouch (maybe)

> On 19 Dec 98 at 10:10, Dennis Cardone wrote:
> > Melissa appears to still want to go on the pump but has a fear of the
> > cannula hurting. Last Sat. AM she told me she had a surprise for me
> > later that day. Later she handed me a hand made card, when I opened it,
> > it said, "Daddy I have the cannula in, she then lifted her shirt. She
> > wore it for one hour it didn't hurt she said, but she still has a
> > thought that at some point it will hurt. How do any of you work this
> > issue out with your children.
This is not a fear confined to kids. It is fairly universal. My
daughter was the same way. I think the biggest thing that helped her
was the discovery that injections given in the tummy skin hurt much
less than arms and legs. I don't necessarily encourage you to
advocate this however, since the very idea of sticking a needle in
one's tummy is fairly traumatic, but...... Lily will not longer give
herself an injection anywhere else. It took three weeks to convince
her to try it there to begin with before she went on the pump.

It seems from experience, that if a cannula is uncomfortable, it
is probably into muscle tissue and the site will not last. With the
SofSets, there must be adequate underlying tissue, and with the
Comfort/Tender/Sil's, the angle of insertion must be shallow enough
so that the 'meat' is not penetrated. Shallower appears better than
deeper or 30 degrees as the directions say, particularly for kids or
those who are thin.

Sometimes it hurts a little, but it is once every three or four days
as opposed to three or more times a day on injections.