Re: [IP] High, then Low

You know, that MiniMed pump trainer comes into my life asks me
to trust her and do what she says. Then she heartlessly leaves
saying "call your doctor more often". Now what is that supposed
to mean. She meant "don't call me I did my job". I'm pissed she
didn't help my controll at all. She insisted that I take 0.8 every hour
and then everything else I tell her she writes down as if she had
perscribed it. Well, after doing a fasting I had to discontinue her
stupid 0.8 every hour. And where is she now? She did three pump
trainings the day she saw me and never indicated there would be
any follow up. Well my doctor doesn't know how to work the pump.
I'd be like, "duh", if I didn't have this web site instruction. I guess
she's like, "uh, yah you're alive now, uh, that's uh OK I guess, I mean
stay at 450. If you overdose and drop 300 points its a good thing.
Bye if the pump alarm rings call the 800 number." The only problem
with that is my last pre-pump a1c was 6.39 and I want tight controll.
Laura Beach you're about to loose a flunky. As if you care.

On 18 Dec 98 at 14:22, Aaron Michelson wrote:

> Michael,
> I intend no disrespect for I appreciate greatly the insulin-pumpers
> organization. It has been for me a convenient and big source of
> information. The MiniMed Pump trainer, Laura Beach R.N., is without
> doubt providing me with her best opinion. It is reasonable to assume
> that she has based her opinion in this matter on the best scientific
> information available to her.

Has she read and understood the information sheet in the Humalog box?  The
documation from Lilly states that it may last longer than 2 hours.  There is
also the impact of bolus size to consider - a small bolus (large surface/volume
ratio) is absorbed quicker than a large bolus.  There is also a large variation
in the onset and peak time of Humalog, according to the studies published by
the manufacturer.  Some people experience very quick onset while others have an
onset time that is close to that seen with Regular.  Peak times are similarly
variable.  That's why you have to be careful when stating "it always works in
t+2 hours" because many of us have had very different experiences.  It's
a perfect case of YMWV...

Randall P. Winchester
* misunderstood something.