Re: [IP] Wine Tastings

Your comments are excellent regarding diabetes and drinking. I also do
on occasion have a glass of wine at parties or at dinner (preferably
red, supposed to be better for your heart!). I stick with the dry wines
(like cabernet or burgundy)as many wines (as well as beers) contain lots
of sugar and carbohydrates. The combination of noshing while drinking
even small quantities of moderate-to-sweet wine or high carb beer can do
detriment on the old BS! I have found for myself that moderate intake
(1-2 drinks MAX) of dry wine/lite beer causes very little effect on my
BS. But as you stated, everyone reacts differently to alcohol so one
needs to approach drinking carefully. Actually the cheese at wine/cheese
parties has caused me more problems because of the high fat content!
Also, it is especially important to test frequently (more frequently
that normal) when drinking. The combination of alcohol intake and low BS
is a very bad one; alcohol alone with even a normal BS tends to impair
one's judgement! One more point: I would NEVER drink alone without my
wife or friends around nearby in case problems occur. Hope this helps!