Subject: [IP] Diabetics and Glasses

I have been wearing glasses for over 35 yrs (nearsighted) and have had
IDDM for 23 yrs (11 years on the pump). For myself very high blood
sugars (above 250) for extended periods of time have caused my eyesight
to become blury. Since going on the pump, my blood sugars have not been
that high for extended periods of time very much. I have had a number
excellent optomologists over the years (and several corporate
relocations!). Every one of them has always told me that if my BSs were
high/unstable/etc. I should re-schedule my eye exam for another (future)
date where my BSs were stable.  I always make sure that before going for
my eye exams that my BS have been stable(not high) the day of the exam
and for a couple of days before the exam. I can remember situations a
long while back where I have had to reschedule my eye exam due to high
BSs. My eye doctors have been very accomodating and understanding and
have usually rescheduled the visit in a timely fashion. My
nearsightedness have become pretty stable the last 5-6 years, with
minimal prescription changes. Fortunately I have not have any diabetic
eye complications and hopefully never will (I'm pretty strict about my
control). Regards...Steve