Re: [IP] High, then Low

> From the evidence you have submitted it is
> possible that your blood sugar level went to a low state by t+2 and
> went no lower during the period t+2 to t+6. The fact that it did not
> rise has many possible explanations which would only distract from
> the topic being discussed.

My daughter accidentally received a 90 unit overdose of H , I won't
go into the details, it is in the archives. It took 6 hours for her
blood sugar to stop going down. Her mother an I fully expected her to
be OK after 2.5 to 3 hours and were quite supprised and concerned
when her bg's continued to drop. If you look at the material provided
by Lilly with each bottle of Humalog, you will see that this
response is consistent with the insulin activitiy levels reported in
the handy little chart. I am not implying that with moderate levels
that everyone will see lows for 5 - 6 hours. Only that Humalog last
longer than the apparent peak effective time of 2 - 2.5 hours. The
effects after that are fairly small, but they are present. A low
brought on by even a small excess amount of H can persist easily for
3 or more hours while the insulin is used up. Look at the data
provided by Lilly. It is not safe to assume that after 2 and a half
hours that there is no H left in your system. It is there, just not a
lot of it. My daughter gets caught once in a while by this trap. If
she over-boluses for a meal, she will be fine for 2 hours or more and
then her bg's will begin to drop fairly quickly (i.e. they go off a
cliff).  She has always detected this and has eaten glucose or a
carbo snack, but the net effect usually lasts about an hour or so
('til 3.5 hours or so after eating) and requires about 70 to 100 bg
points worth of glucose to stabalize her. This invariably follows a
meal with rice or potatoes where it is difficult to measure the carb
content because of the moisture content or method of cooking and
where the glycemic index of the food is high.

My comments are ancedotal and not intended to be gospel. It is merely
a warning not to be complacent or take for granted what appears on
the surface to be a 'safe' assumption about the length of time it
takes to metabolize a dose of Humalog.

Michael <email @ redacted>