Sam Skopp wrote:
> At 07:33 AM 12/17/1998  Fran Baumgartner wrote:
> >> This nonsense does not belong on this website.
> >
> >Why?  I believe some of us appreciate information like this and I thought
> >everyone had a right to express, share what they wanted.  How do you know
> >it's nonsense?
> I think the main objections is that this note is based on scare-tactics and
> is not based on any scientific studies. Yes, people have the right to
> express their personal beliefs, as long as it's relevant to the objectives
> of this list. However, if something is stated as fact that is not
> verifiable, it should also be subject to serious question by people on this
> list.
> This topic has been ferociously and very emotionally debated on one of the
> diabetes newsgroups for many years (i.e. brutal flame wars). Because of
> this, the discussion of this topic has been limited in one of the other
> Diabetes email-lists (email @ redacted). If it promotes flaming on this
> list, I believe that it needs to be limited here too. The bottom line is
> that in all the argument, there has never been any objective, repeatable,
> scientific proof of any of these claims. It is my personal feeling that
> scaring people based on old, un-verified claims is not useful here. (Just
> my 2cents worth)
> Sam

However, there ARE some documented problems with aspartame, such as
headaches, memory loss, seizures, decrease in cognitive function, etc.

I recently read that the FAA just banned pilots from using it at least
two hours before a flight...again, this is unsubstantiated...if anyone
can verify or deny this, it would be helpful.

At any rate, let's not be too quick to jump all over someone for
reporting this.  After all, they thought thelidomide (sp?) was safe,
too...that is, until tons of birth defects started appearing.

Let's have reasoned discussion here, not flame wars.