Re: [IP] Gene therapy and Type 1

> My husband brought home an article from TODAY"S CHEMIST AT WORK (November
> The article discusses the status of gene therapy.  It indicated that after
> positive results with animals some have gone to human clinical trials.
> Diseases like cystic fibrosis, Gaucher's disease, hypercholesterolema and
> AIDS are in human clinical trials.  Several kinds of cancer are in human
> clinical trials with limited tumor suppression. ADA deficiency (bubble boy)
> is in human trials with a "functional cure."
> So where's Diabetes?  Its back with Parkinson's and Hemophilia in Rodent
> Trials:  with an apparent cure! (according to the article)  Why isn't gene
> therapy for diabetes in Human trials?!  the article doesn't address that
> question.
> The article gives web sites.  I have not visited them but I thought someone
> might be interested.  there are no web sites mentioned that specifically
> address diabetes and gene therapy.

You might want to check back on this message that was left here a while ago.
The last session there is going on right now dealing with nerve regeneration
currently in human trials. The other newer project is human Beta cell
regeneration, which was covered in the earlier 2 sessions. Suggest you check the
archives there for that.

Ted Quick

Just a quick reminder about tomorrow night's forum, the first of 3!  Dr.
Aaron I Vinik will be joining us to discuss Islet Cell Regeration.  In
the first hour, Dr. Vinik will discuss INGAP and ilotropin and what they
are and take questions concerning what it they are and how they work.
During the second hour, he will explain how Lilly is involved and what
he hopes to accomplish with them.

For those of you interested in helping Diabetes Institutes Foundation,
go to IGive.com at http://www.eyegive.com/html/splash.cfm  Where you
will find a link to have them give $2 to DIF.  Simply click it and fill
in the information, putting "Diabetes Institutes Foundation" in the
first box of section 2.  You only need to fill in the name and you don't
need their address to have $2 sent to them!  I thought this was a very
easy way to help DIF.

The forum will be tomorrow night, Thursday, Dec 3 at 10pm EST in my chat
room at http://www.virtualnurse.com/Chat/Diabetes/  For those of you
unable to make it to the forum, the entire chat will be posted the next
day on page 2 of my archives at

If you need more info or would like to receive these notices regularly in your
email rather than the mailing list, just write to me and let me know!