Re: [IP] questions

I'll take a poke at answers to your "good" (not naive ;-)) questions.

1)  With the Disetronic H-TRONplus V100, the total amount of insulin
delivered since midnight is displayed in whole units, *not* tenths of a
unit. Funny, I've been using this pump for about 18 months, and I never
thought about that. I had to check. I've never used this info for much of
anything on either of my pumps (my MiniMed 506 displayed in tenths of a
unit), so I just never paid attention to it. I'm pretty good about logging
my information in a spread sheet I designed, so most of what I need to know
is recorded on the sheet. Some pumpers like to run their pumps on "fumes" -
draining the cartridge or reservoir down to the last molecule of insulin,
so this detail is going to be important to them. I'm not one of them,
though, so this suits me just fine.

2)  I don't set my pump to "Stop" before disconnecting from the cannula
base. It's not necessary. The pump will continue to pump the basal insulin
while you are disconnected, but it doesn't harm anything. In fact, not
placing the pump in "Stop" mode saves your batteries a bit - the pump won't
alarm while you're disconnected. (The alarms always drain a bit more of the
battery power. The fewer beeps the pump has to make, the longer the
batteries will last).

However, when I remove an infusion set from my skin, I always place the
pump in "Stop" mode first, then remove the set, then remove the old set
from the pump. I do it in this order and have not had a problem.

You don't need to re prime the set (entire length of tubing) before re
connecting. I just pump about 2.5 units, while watching the end of the set
to make sure insulin drips out. Once I see insulin dripping, I'm sure
everything's o.k. and I connect back up. This ensures that any bubbles
which may have built up in the end of the tubing are flushed out before I
connect back up.

3)  I always bolus 1.0 units after removing the introducer needle (note
that this is when I do a set change, *not* when I'm simply re connecting to
the cannula base). This purges the air which will remain in the cannula
when the needle is removed, and guarantees that the cannula is filled with
insulin. Folks may argue whether the correct amount is .5 units, .8 or 1.0
units. Most experienced users trust the amount is between .5 and 1.0 units.
I use 1.0 units and don't have a problem.

I don't do this "prime" before re connecting. See my comment in #2 above.
Once the introducer needle is removed and "primed" with the 1.0 unit bolus,
the insulin remains in the cannula, even when you are disconnected. The
only thing you need to check when re connecting is to make sure there is no
large bubble at the end of the tubing where it connects to the cannula.

I hope this makes sense. This stuff will soon become second nature to you.
Good luck :-)

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted