Re: [IP] High, then Low

I just met with my MiniMed pump trainer and asked her just that. She insisted that with humalog the action is being curtailed at t+2 hours. She insisted that one could at t+2 hours safely bolus for a hi without compensating for remaining insulin action. There may be some potency after t+2 hours so I suspect the validity of the pump trainer's statement depends on the assumption that the meal at time t contained some protein and fat.
Three days pumping,

>>> "Natalie A. Sera" <email @ redacted> 12/17 12:42 PM >>>
I wonder if some (clearly not all! :) ) of the problems with lows might
occur because people don't take into account the insulin that's still
working  when they take a high sugar bolus.

I know that for me, I won't know the full extent of my BG lowering from
Humalog for 4 hours. If I measure at 2 hours, and find my BG high, and
take another bolus (or shot), I likely will overestimate how much is
needed (if at all), and then crash.  (Of course, for pizza, all bets are

But if I measure at 4 hours, and find myself high, I can pretty reliably
take another dose and end up on target.

I wonder if other people have established an action timeline for
themselves as well.